Course: Big Data 2014
Jump to navigation Jump to search
DS-GA 1004/CSCI-GA 2568 Big Data: Tentative Schedule -- subject to change
- Course Web page: http://cs.nyu.edu/courses/spring14/CSCI-GA.2568-001/index.html
- Instructor: Professor Juliana Freire (http://vgc.poly.edu/~juliana/)
- Lecture: Mondays, 7:10pm-9:00pm at Cantor, room 101. Note new location!
- Cantor Film Center (CANTR), 36 E 8th St, New York, NY 10003
- Lab: Thursdays, 7:10pm-8:00pm at CIWW, room 109. Always bring your laptop.
- Warren Weaver Hall (CIWW), 251 Mercer St, New York, NY 10012
- I have sent a test email to the class list. If you have not received the message, make sure to sign up: http://www.cs.nyu.edu/mailman/listinfo/csci_ga_2568_001_sp14
- Starting on Feb 10th, our class will meet at a new location: Cantor 101
- We will have lab on Thu at CIWW, room 109. Bring your laptop!
Background (4 weeks)
Week 1 -- Jan 27: Course Overview; the evolution of Data Management
- Lecture notes: http://vgc.poly.edu/~juliana/courses/BigData2014/Lectures/course-overview.pdf
- Reading: Chapter 1 of Mining of Massive Data Sets (version 1.1)
- Course survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dDRoTVcyMnRQUXhFUjl0cFFuTEVER1E6MA
Week 2 -- Feb 3: Introduction to Databases
- Lecture notes: http://vgc.poly.edu/~juliana/courses/BigData2014/Lectures/intro-to-db.pdf
- Other useful reading: